Friday, February 28, 2014

Divergent Program Ideas

The Divergent series by Veronica Roth might be put to bed, but I haven't seen that book on the shelf since I purchased it in 2011. An early favorite, this series packs enough adventure for thrill seekers, a dystopian society to die for, and there are more than enough sparks on the romance front to keep all entertained.  That said, I've had multiple teens begging me for a Divergent program.  For whatever reason it hasn't materialized, but I am definitely going to hit that up this summer and watch the sparks fly. 
As I've previously stated, my program ensemble is very important to me.  I spend a lot of time and effort with my wardrobe overall, so it is no surprise to anyone that knows me.  If you find yourself in a similar boat or want to really want to get in character, might I recommend checking out the Official Divergent Tumblr for costuming suggestions?  If I lived in the Divergent dystopia I know that I wouldn't hesitate to select Dauntless on Choosing Day, but feel the requisite wardrobe of black and leather might be a bit much for a teen librarian running a program, so I proffer an adorable Abnegation outfit.  Grey is my favorite color to wear and as librarians are supposed to selflessly help everyone that comes through their library's doors it seems most fitting.  Please click on the link and browse the inspiration for your chosen faction to spice it up!


On to the games!  While my high schoolers prefer acting games and being left to their own devices to relax, my middle schoolers are hyper and can't sit still to save their lives.  If I am not constantly rushing from one high intensity game to another, trouble flares up.  Not all of these games will work for your teens, which is why I provided three per faction.  I got a lot of ideas from looking over this fabulous link by the Divergent Lexicon. Check that link out for food ideas as well!

Dauntless Games

These games should be executed with caution as Dauntless activities are not for the weak at heart! We played Trainwreck at a Hunger Games lock-in a few years back and there were a few skinned knees and head on collisions, so please be careful! I still recommend it because it was hilarious to watch and the teens had a great time.

Erudite Games

These will go over particularly well with my uber nerdy teens.  I really like the Divergent trivia I found on Goodreads and can't wait to dig into it.

Candor Games

Spotting lies and seeking the truth are the name of the game for Candor.

Abnegation Games

Abnegation facilitates selflessness and teamwork, so try these team building games!

Amity Games

Amity games are all about teamwork and not about who wins.  I highly recommend the link I provided for Charades, as it is actually a variation known as Charade Relay.


No comments: